Thursday, July 8, 2010

How to Eat a Whole Head of Cauliflower...BY YOURSELF!


I was a raw foodist for a while. During that time I remember making something called cauliflower popcorn which was dehydrated. It tasted pretty good but then again everything I ate tasted pretty good because I barely ate anything.

During my raw food days I noticed a great deal of improvement in my digestion. I have struggled with digestion issues for about 12 years and I felt really good during that time. I now realize that it was less about the raw food diet and more about being grain free.

I am now eating cooked and raw foods but I have been staying away from grains and my stomach is thrilled. I recently tried adding in some popcorn and while it tasted delicious, it didn't agree with my body. But it tasted so darn good!

So last night I decided to look up that popcorn cauliflower recipe and give it a try. I didn't find the original raw recipe. I found something better! It was so simple, so easy, and oh my gosh, so good. I would love to tell you that my family liked it but I never gave them a chance to try it because I ate the whole thing myself. Yum!

I added a bit of garlic powder to the recipe but I couldn't really taste it. I might try to double the amount next time or just leave it out. The recipe says to leave the pieces the size of golf balls. I made mine a bit smaller and in the end, I found that the smaller the pieces, the better they tasted so next time I am going to make all mine teeny tiny. It will cook faster too.

It really doesn't make that much so if you are going to make it for other people, I would suggest you double the recipe. I think this one is a winner! Let me know how you like it.

Cauliflower Popcorn
1 head cauliflower
4 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
  2. Cut the cauliflower into small pieces. Throw away all of the core and the thick stem.
  3. Combine olive oil, salt and garlic powder in a bowl. Add the cauliflower and toss to coat.
  4. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet (you can skip that it if you don't have any but it makes it easier to clean up).
  5. Roast for 1 hour, turning 3 or 4 times until most of each piece is golden brown. The browner they are, the better they taste.
  6. Serve immediately

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails