Thursday, April 1, 2010

Inspire Your Kids Creativity With Food

It's funny how life takes over sometimes. We are so busy running here and running there that we are often going through the motions, getting things done. That's how it is around here with getting food on the table.


I must confess, I am not in love with cooking. I grew up in a restaurant family. We ate out every day. There wasn't a lot of cooking going on in our house. In fact, it would not be an exaggeration to say that we ate dinner at home on Christmas and Thanksgiving, maybe Easter. That's it.


Now that I have 5 kids, that is simply not an option so I cook dinner most nights and I make lunches most days so my kids can have healthier foods. I tend to go for what is quick and easy and I do most of it myself because it is just easier that way.


I do let the kids get their own snacks. We always have fruit and veggies available and some healthy chips etc. Most of the time they grab an apple but sometimes they will get creative and make a smoothie.

The other day they really impressed me with their creativity when they came up with this snack idea. They cut up their apples and bananas. Spread some peanut butter on the apple slices, topped them with the banana and sprinkled some ground flax seed and cinnamon on top.

They loved eating the snack and it was amazing to see the pride in having come up with it all on their own. I think they enjoyed it even more.


This incident has got me thinking about taking time out of the day and giving them the materials to create their own meals. They can take ownership of what they are eating and it will help them to think outside the box.


I am thinking about giving them a challenge with different ingredients and giving them a time limit to create their own special dish. What fun that would be. I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails