Monday, June 14, 2010

Eating Local


I picked up a new book today and I am in love with it! It is called Eating Local: The Cookbook Inspired by America's Farmers. It is everything I want a cookbook to be. It is big and filled with the most beautiful pictures and loaded with delicious sounding recipes. I have to admit that I haven't tried any of them yet because I just got the book today but I am looking forward to experimenting with my finds from the farmer's market.

The recipes are listed alphabetically and are separated into the sections of vegetables, fruits, and poultry, meat and eggs so it is easy to look up an ingredient and find a yummy recipe to whip up. Some of the recipes I can't wait to try are carrot-zucchini bread with candied ginger, grilled cauliflower steaks with tahini sauce, Portuguese potato and kale soup, roasted butternut squash soup with toasted pumpkin seeds, and slow roasted tomatoes with oregano and feta.

In addition to the enticing recipes and photos, we get transported to ten small farms like the Dancing Roots Farm or the Full Belly Farm. We are introduced to the farmers who are dedicated to making local eating possible. Their stories give you a feel for what it is like to live and work on a small farm. These farmers also have included some of their favorite recipes such as the Nitty Gritty Dirt Farm Ketchup and Crepes with a Warm Kumquat Sauce from the Morning Song Farm.

If that all isn't enough, there is a section in the back that tells you how to get started with your own kitchen garden, talks about composting, planting fruit trees, storing your produce, and keeping animals on your property.

I highly recommend the book. It has given me quite a thrill today and I know it will continue to do so as I experiment with new recipes. I got mine at Costco but you can also pick it up at Amazon

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails