Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Making Peace With What Is

For those of you who know me well, you know that I am a summer girl. OK, a spring and summer girl. I love the warm and beautiful weather. I don't mind fall but I know it means winter is coming and I can't stand the thought of that so I usually don't like fall much.

I feel as if I were born into the wrong climate. Seriously! Even as a kid I didn't like going out in the cold. My friends would go out sledding, skating, and skiing and I would stay in the house where it was warm. Not my cup of tea!

So now I am still here in the Chicagoland area and I am still freezing every winter. I've tried changing my attitude about it. In fact a couple of years ago I started my own campaign called, "Embrace Winter". I went out and took pictures of the beautiful sunsets and looked daily for something to find beauty in every day. It worked well until February and I was miserable once again.

So why am I telling you all of this when the weather is so beautiful? I was reading in Geneen Roth's book, Women Food and God
yesterday and I ran across this passage. It was written to a woman who was unhappy in her current job situation and was asking how to be happy until she got the job she wanted. Here is Geneen's reply:

...What if this is exactly what you are supposed to be doing because it is what you are doing? What if each nitty-gritty task is perfection itself and you keep missing it because you're looking for something else?

It's like washing the dishes. If you focus on getting the dishes done so that your kitchen will be clean, you miss everything that happens between dirty and clean. The warmth of the water, the pop of the bubbles, the movements of your hand. You miss the life that happens inthe middle zone- between now and what you think your life should be like. And when you miss those moments because you'd rather be doing something else, you are missing your own life. Those moments are gone. You will never get them back.

...Even when you arrive at being Someone because you are where you were going- your life may not be any better if you haven't learned to be awake, alive, now. To take this moment for what it is. It's just as easy to be miserable when you are Someone Special as when you are No One in Particular. Because even Someone Special still has to live in her own skin and deal with boredom, rejection, loneliness, disappointment. Even Someone Special comes home at night and does what the Nobodies do: falls asleep alone. You might as well learn how to pay attention now. How to inhabit the life you've chosen. How to take up every inch of your skin. Occupy the space in this body you were given. It's your place. Only yours.

The writer Annie Dillard says, 'How you spend your days is how you spend your life.' Be unwaveringly honest. Ask youself how you want to spend your days...

...the reality of your day-to-day life has to be beter than the self-inflicted misery you are creating through the stories you are telling youself....

Come back. Break the trance. Pay attention to your breath. Your arms. Your legs...Notice colors. The royal blue of a coworker's dress. The coffee stain on your boss's tie. Wake up to the riot of life around you every second. The singer Pearl Bailey said, 'People see God every day; they just don't recognize Him.' What if every day was a chance to see a new version of God? What if what you needed was right in front of you and you were not recognizing it?

You already have everything you need to be content.

Her words are beautiful and really speak to me. This truth is for everyone whether you are wanting a better job, a better home, or a better climate. I am ready and willing to take the challenge to live every moment of my life. How about you?

Your comments are important to me. Please scroll down and click on the "comment" link to leave me a brief message.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I realized how being in the moment felt when I went to a 10 day silent retreat a few years ago. After the third day of meditating I became aware of this feeling of pure energy surrounding me. It was unlike anything I had ever felt before, so very peaceful and joyful. My peaceful state lasted for almost 6 weeks after I came back from the meditation. I can honestly say I have never felt more clear headed and centered in my life.
I loved Geneen's comment about taking up every inch of our skin and occupying the space in our bodies we have been given.

Related Posts with Thumbnails