Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Simply Rhubarb

When I was a kid I remember taking a bus trip with my grandma from Chicago to Rockford to visit one of her friends. I don't remember too much about the trip but I have one vivid memory and that was seeing rhubarb growing in the garden for the first time.

You see, I've always been a color freak. I love color and seeing those deep red stalks (my favorite color) peeking out from behind those large green leaves took my breath away. I had to know what that was.

Sensing my intrigue, my grandma and her friend let me cut the stalks, chop them up and put them into a pot with some sugar. Let me tell you, I was in heaven! I've been a fan ever since.

Rhubarb is actually in season now and I found it in the store yesterday. I really didn't know what I could do with it since I am on a pretty strict elimination diet right now...no grains, no sugar, no nuts etc. But I didn't let that stop me. I bought 4 stalks and a bunch of strawberries and headed home excited at the prospect tasting that distinct combination.

I cut everything up, threw it in a pot with some water and stevia and let it cook. By the time the kids got home it was a beautiful sauce and they were lined up to dig their spoons in. We just ate it like that. Nothing else. And it was beautiful.

Simplicity at its best!

Sugar Free Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce

4 stalks rhubarb
1 pint strawberries
10 drops stevia*
1/4 cup water

Put everything into a saucepan and stir. Cover and cook over medium high heat until strawberries and rhubarb are soft.

You can serve this over some ice cream for a refreshing spring treat.

*I used liquid stevia. The sweetness varies with each individual brand and type of stevia so experiement with the amount needed to give you your desired sweetness.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails